About RM Lucas Company
The History of RM Lucas
R.M. Lucas Company was founded by Robert M. Lucas in 1912. Our original manufacturing plant was located at 1955 W. 31st Street in Chicago, Illinois. R.M. Lucas Co. manufactured asphalt and oil based paints. As asphalt began to replace coal tar as the primary bitumen used in roofing, Lucas cements and coatings became accepted and widely used in this new type of construction.
In 1954 the R.M. Lucas Co. plant and trademark was purchased by Lawrence J. Barry and it became a subsidiary of his company, Union Chemical and Oil Co., a manufacturer of roof coatings, waterproofing and water treatment chemicals since 1935. The equipment, employees and technical knowledge of R.M. Lucas Co. were transferred to the Union Chemical plant, located nearby at 3211 S. Wood Street, by the end of 1956.
In 1956, ownership of Union Chemical & Oil and it’s subsidiary R.M. Lucas Co. passed to John L. Barry from his father. Lucas products for railroads were gradually discontinued as the company focused its efforts on the growing low-slope asphalt roofing market. In particular, R.M. Lucas became the primary supplier of high grade roof cements and coatings in the Chicago market. The roofing products portion of the business was successful to the degree that Union Chemical and Oil Co. was absorbed by its R.M. Lucas Co. division in 1990. Production of water treatment chemicals was ended in 1995 in order to allow a focus on, and expansion of, the coatings operation.
R. M. Lucas Co. is now managed by a third generation and is continuing to expand in the professional grade coatings, adhesives & sealants market. We are expanding our network of distributors and applicators throughout North America while increasing recognition of our premium brand. We are constantly developing new and innovative products to solve the challenges of evolving construction technology. A focus on quality products for the professional contractor is the foundation of our company and our plan for future success.
O U R L O C A T I O N S
Alsip Plant and Corporate Office:
12400 S. Laramie Ave
Alsip, IL 60803
3211 S. Wood St.
Chicago, IL 60608
11756 S Austin Ave.
Alsip, IL 60803